Derek S. Casey
Phone: 316-630-8100, Ext. 296
Primary Areas of Practice
Derek has been in private practice in Wichita since his graduation from the University of Oklahoma College of Law in 1991. His work has taken him before state, federal and tribal courts from New York to Honolulu. Derek has broad experience in investigating, defending and prosecuting complex civil matters, including personal injury/wrongful death claims, employment discrimination and other wrongful discharge claims, noncompete litigation, insurance coverage issues, defending and challenging estate plans, fiduciary duties, ERISA litigation, subrogation claims, tortious interference, and class actions/multi-district litigation.
In addition to representing and helping his clients, Derek has written articles on trial practice and has been invited as a speaker at continuing education seminars. He is active in several professional organizations and in his community through his involvement in Boy Scouts. Derek is married to Kim Casey and they have two sons.
Admitted to practice
- Kansas Supreme Court 1991
- Oklahoma Bar Association 1991
- United States District Court, District of Kansas
- United States District Court, District of Oklahoma
- United States District Court of Appeals Third, Seventh, and Tenth Circuits
- United States Supreme Court
- University of Oklahoma College of Law - Juris Doctor with Distinction 1991
- University of Oklahoma - Bachelor of Arts in Letters with High Honors 1988
Honors, Affiliations and Professional Memberships
- Kansas and Wichita Bar Association
- American Association for Justice
- “The Admissibility of Expert Witness Testimony in Kansas Federal Courts,” 35 Kan. Assoc. Justice J., No. 2, 10 (2011).
- "Parallel Universes: The Interplay of a Co-defendant’s Summary Judgment on Another’s Comparative Fault Defense,” 34 Kan. Assoc. Justice J., No. 2, 12 (2010).
- “Just Some Minor Medical Expenses: Wilson v. Knight – 10 Years Later,” 33 Kan. Assoc. Justice J., No. 3, 16 (2010).
- “Don’t You Trust Me? An Examination of the Order and Burden of Proof in Trust Litigation,” 32 J. Kan. Assoc. Justice, No. 4, 13 (2009).
- “Practical Skills: Preparing the Client for Deposition,” 31 J. Kan. Assoc. Justice, No. 4, 12 (2008).
- “Summary Judgments and Established Facts: Application of Rule 56(d),” 30 J. Kan. Assoc. Justice, No. 2, 12 (2006).
- “Motions in limine: Where Evidence Stands on the Threshold,” 29 J. Kan. Assoc. Justice No. 4, 4 (2006).
- “The Kansas Joint-Defense Privilege: A Cigarette Smoke Screen,” 22 J.K.T.L.A. (July 1999).
- “Attacking the Peer Review Privilege: Some Ideas,” 17 J.K.T.L.A. 19 (July 1994).
- Wichita Bar Association, Medical-Legal 2017, March 10, 2017, Special Needs Trust
- Kansas Assoc. for Justice, Auto Litigation Seminar, May 13, 2011, Maneuvering Through the Minefield of Liens and Martinez in Personal Injury Litigation.
- Wichita Bar Association, The Changing Medical/Legal Landscape, April 29, 2011, Panel Discussion: “Martinez v. Milburn Enterprises: What hath the Supreme Court Wrought?”
- Wichita Bar Association, Preparing Your Case for Trial with an Eye Toward Settlement, April 28, 2011, “Preparing your Witness for Deposition.”
- Wichita Bar Association, The Medium is the Mess: iPractice in the e-Age, April 23, 2010, “Ethical Issues in Social Networking.”
- Kansas Bar Association, 2009 KBA Litigation All Stars CLE, Sept. 18, 2009, “Lien on Me: Addressing Subrogation Liens.”
- Kansas Assoc. for Justice, Trials & Tribulations: Client Advocacy in a 21st Century Litigation Environment,” Overland Park, Kansas, June 6, 2008, “Preparing Your Client for Deposition.”
- DUI Victims Center, Wichita, Kan., Dram Shop Liability Law, April 19, 2005.
- University of Kansas Public Health Summit, “Managing Risk in the Pharmaceutical and Food Safety Chains in a Risk Adverse Society,” June 1, 2005, Lawrence, Kansas, regarding “Perspectives on the Topic: Targeted Drugs and Risk Management: “Who Assesses Risk to Patient?”
- Kansas Bar Association Litigation All-Stars, April 22, 2005, Overland Park, Kansas, “Valuing a Personal Injury Case.”
- Kansas Bar Association, Fifth Annual “CLE Slam-Dunk” February 9, 2005, Manhattan, Kansas, “Valuing a Personal Injury Case.”
- Insurance Coverage for Tobacco and Tobacco-Related Litigation and Liability, Nov. 11-12 1996, Washington, D.C., “Cigarettes Plus: The Other Litigation.”
- Mealey’s Tobacco Litigation Conference, June 18-19, 1996, West Palm Beach, Fla., “Another Front in the War: Analysis of the Smokeless Tobacco Class Action.”