Theron E. Fry
Phone: 316-630-8100, Ext. 223
Primary Areas of Practice
Mr. Fry is a member of the American College of Trusts and Estate Counsel (ACTEC), and is the ACTEC Kansas State Chair. He has over 40 years of experience in drafting and implementing estate plans and advising clients with respect to the numerous business, personal, tax and litigation issues that invariably arise. He assists clients in all aspects of estate planning and probate issues, as well as the related income, gift, estate, and generation skipping transfer tax issues. With respect to assisting clients in estate planning, he counsels clients in developing estate plans that fit their family and financial situations, including drafting wills and trust agreements from the simple to the complex. With respect to probate related matters, he works with all aspects of decedents’ estates from probate procedure and litigation to preparation of complex estate tax returns and representation of fiduciaries, heirs and beneficiaries in probate court and before the Internal Revenue Service. With respect to assisting clients in tax related matters, he counsels clients in methods to minimize income, gift, estate and generation skipping transfer tax liabilities over multiple generations through the use of multiple transfer techniques. He also works with clients in business matters, including organization, mergers and acquisitions, and tax audit and litigation matters, both before the Internal Revenue Service as well as the Tax Court and Federal court system.
Mr. Fry was born in Wichita, Kansas. He attended Kansas State University and graduated with a degree in Electrical Engineering. He attended Southern Methodist University Law School in Dallas, Texas as a recipient of the Hatton W. Sumners Scholarship. After graduation from law school, Mr. Fry practiced law in Houston, Texas for 10 years with the law firm now known as Locke Lord Bissell & Liddell LLP. Mr. Fry is “AV” rated by Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory, and has been selected for inclusion as a “Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyer” for the years 2006 to 2012.
Admitted to practice
- Texas, 1972
- Kansas, 1981
- Kansas Supreme Court
- United States District Court, District of Kansas
- United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- United States Tax Court
- United States Court of Federal Claims
- Southern Methodist University Law School (J.D., 1972)
- Kansas State University (B.S. Electrical Engineering Cum Laude, 1969)
Professional Memberships, Affiliations and Honors
- Kansas Bar Association
- Real Estate, Probate & Trust Law Section, Executive Committee (Past President) Tax Law Section (Executive Committee)
- State Bar of Texas
- Wichita Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- The American College of Trust and Estate Counsel, Kansas State Chair
- Martindale-Hubbell, AV Rating
- Kansas Humane Society of Wichita, Inc.
- Board of Directors 1994 – 2000
- Past President
- Riverside Health Foundation.
- Board of Directors, 2003 – present
- Riverside Health Systems, Inc.
- Board of Directors, 1983 – 2001
- City of Wichita Public Employees Pension Fund
- Board of Trustees, 1994 – 1996
- Kansas Estate Apportionment, Kansas Bar Association, Probate & Trust
- Administration After Death (Seventh Edition)
- Liddell Sapp Zivley Hill & LaBoon (now Locke Lord Bissell & Liddell LLP) 1972 - 1981