Mary F. Carson
Phone: (785) 840-9241
Primary Areas of Practice
For the past 26 years, Ms. Carson has devoted the majority of her law practice to public finance municipal bond law and related fields. She is involved in all aspects of the process of issuing municipal bonds from initial planning meetings and preparation of necessary documents, to the closing of the issue. Ms. Carson has acted as bond counsel to many local governmental clients, including cities, counties, school districts, rural water districts, other special purpose districts or authorities and state agencies, on virtually every type of debt obligation. Her experience includes all aspects of state and federal law and procedure affecting local government issuance of or participation in tax-exempt and taxable general obligation bonds, temporary notes, general obligation special assessment bonds, utility revenue bonds, public building commission lease revenue bonds, lease/purchase transactions, special revenue bonds, sales tax revenue bonds, tax increment financing, transportation development district financing, revolving fund loans, various types of industrial revenue bonds and other private activity bonds.
Ms. Carson grew up in Elkhart in extreme southwestern Kansas and attended the University of Kansas, where she graduated from law school in 1980. She then served as a law clerk to former Justice Robert H. Miller of the Kansas Supreme Court. In 1983, Ms. Carson accepted a position as an Assistant Attorney General in the office of Kansas Attorney General Bob Stephan and, in 1985, she became the Kansas Assistant Attorney General charged with the state law regulatory review and approval of all Kansas city, county, school district and State of Kansas municipal bond transcripts. Ms. Carson left the Attorney General’s office in 1987 to begin private practice of municipal bond law.
Admitted to practice
- Kansas, 1980
- United States District Court, District of Kansas
- University of Kansas School of Law (J.D., 1980)
- University of Kansas (B.A., 1977, Phi Beta Kappa)
- Phi Beta Kappa
Honors, Affiliations and Professional Memberships
- The University of Kansas Law Review, Research Editor
- National Association of Bond Lawyers
- Listed in The Bond Buyer’s Municipal Marketplace (known as the “Red Book”)
- American Bar Association
- Kansas Bar Association
- Wichita Bar Association
- Past President and current member of the Board of Trustees of Cottonwood, Inc., a charitable organization in Lawrence, Kansas that provides services to individuals with developmental disabilities.
- Member of the Board of Directors of the Douglas County Chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union