Eric B. Metz
Phone: 316-630-8100, Ext. 215
Primary Areas of Practice
Eric Metz assists clients in all matters relating to employment relations, with his practice focused on preventive consultation and helping employers with federal, state and local employment law compliance, employment contract drafting and negotiation, as well as implementing and drafting personnel policies, employee handbooks, severance and release agreements, and noncompetition agreements. He also handles litigation before state and federal courts and administrative agencies, including claims relating to disability, age, sex, race and religious discrimination, harassment, wrongful discharge matters, wage and hour issues, contract disputes, and noncompetition matters.
Mr. Metz also has over 35 years of experience in a variety of litigation matters, including a wide variety of business and contract disputes. In addition, he is experienced in education law, having represented a private university as its primary counsel for over 25 years. Mr. Metz has received the Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory’s highest “AV” rating for lawyers, reflecting exemplary professional expertise. He has been selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America in the field of employment law, and has been named Best Lawyers’ Wichita Employment “Lawyer of the Year” in various categories in four of the last seven years. He has also been selected for inclusion in “Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyers.” In addition, he is designated by Chambers USA as one of “Kansas’ leading lawyers for labor and employment.”
Admitted to practice
- Kansas, 1980
- United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- United States District Court, District of Kansas
- United States Supreme Court
- University of Kansas School of Law (J.D., 1980)
- Order of the Coif
- Phi Kappa Phi
- Friends University (B.A., with Highest Honors, 1977)
Honors, Affiliations and Professional Memberships
- Designated by Chambers USA as one of “Kansas’ leading lawyers for labor and employment”
- Named Best Lawyers' 2014 Wichita Litigation - Labor and Employment "Lawyer of the Year"
- Named Best Lawyers' 2016 Wichita Individuals - Employment "Lawyer of the Year"
- Named Best Lawyers' 2018 Wichita Employment Law - Management "Lawyer of the Year"
- Named Best Lawyers' 2020 Wichita Litigation - Labor and Employment "Lawyer of the Year"
- Selected by peers for the Best Lawyers in America in the fields Employment Law - Individuals, Employment Law - Management, and Litigation - Labor and Employment
- Selected for inclusion in Missouri and Kansas Super Lawyers
- Kansas Association of Defense Counsel
- Defense Research Institute
- American Bar Association
- Kansas Bar Association
- Wichita Bar Association
Articles / Seminars / Publications
- Harassment After #MeToo: Today's Landscape
- Issues Relating to Discrimination and Harassment In the Workplace
- What You Don't Know Can Hurt You: Hot Topics and Little Known Employment Law Issues
- Helping Clients Find the Best Employees and Protect Themselves in the Process: Background Checks and Noncompetition Agreements
- Employment Policy and Employment Legal Changes Under the Obama Administration
- Current Developments in Employment Law
- Addressing Your Company’s Exposure to Employment Related Lawsuits
- Kansas Employment Law: Hiring and Firing So You Won’t Get Sued (or Lose if You Do)