Phone: 316-630-8100, Ext. 209
Primary Areas of Practice
J.T. Klaus has been assisting Kansas local government in the issuance of municipal debt obligations for both infrastructure improvement and economic development since 1990. Mr. Klaus has extensive experience serving as Bond Counsel in connection with the issuance of governmental debt obligations, including general obligation bonds and temporary notes, municipal revenue bonds, as well as such “hybrid” and “conduit” type financings as tax increment bonds, lease financings (certificates of participation) and industrial revenue bonds. Mr. Klaus has served and continues to serve as Bond Counsel to governmental entities throughout the State of Kansas and regularly assists local industry, manufacturers, hospitals and health care in connection with financing their facilities. Mr. Klaus has also assisted municipalities and conduit borrowers in establishing systems of ongoing disclosure pursuant to the requirements of Rule 15c2-12 promulgated by the Securities and Exchange Commission.
Since graduating from KU Law School, Mr. Klaus has practiced in the areas of municipal finance and industrial development finance, and has constantly been in service to local government throughout Kansas as bond counsel, in addition to serving as underwriter’s counsel to both local and regional based investment firms. Mr. Klaus regularly advises local government on the various tax incentives and financing tools available to communities that desire to strengthen local industry and support economic development. He has previously presented and served as a discussion group leader at the annual training seminar for Kansas municipal officers held at the Marcus Center of Continuing Education at Wichita State University; he has presented and advised on numerous methods of economic development to the City Clerks and Municipal Finance Officers Association annual seminar and meeting in Wichita, Kansas; he has addressed and advised members of the Kansas Association of School Boards on the proper role of Bond Counsel at its school construction seminar in Salina, Kansas and he is a former instructor of Business Law at Newman University.
Admitted to practice
- Kansas, 1990
- United States District Court, District of Kansas
- University of Kansas School of Law (J.D., 1990)
- Newman University (B.A., Summa Cum Laude, 1987)
- The University of Kansas Law Review, Managing Editor (1989-1990)
- Student Instructor of Appellate Advocacy (1989-1990)
Honors, Affiliations and Professional Memberships
- Recognized in The Bond Buyer’s Municipal Marketplace (known as the “Red Book”) (1990-present)
- Lifetime Achievement selection among America’s Top 100 Attorneys®
- Named Best Lawyers’ 2014 Wichita Public Finance Law "Lawyer of the Year"
- Selected by peers for the Best Lawyers in America in the field of Public Finance Law for over five years
- 40 under 40 Honoree (Wichita Business Journal, 2002)
- General Counsel to the Kansas Power Pool
- City Attorney - Andover, Hesston and Mulvane, Kansas
- Member of Kansas, Wichita and American Bar Associations
- Member of Kansas Government Finance Officers Association
- Chamber of Commerce
- Since 2013, Mr. Klaus has served as a Member of the Board of Trustees of Newman University - Wichita, Kansas, and serves on the University's Facing Forward Campaign Cabinet, as well as Chair of the Newman University Trustee and Bylaws Committee.
- Over 13 years of service on the Board of Directors of Villa Maria, Inc., a not-for-profit senior care community located in Mulvane, Kansas and sponsored by the Sisters Adorers of the Blood of Christ, including 8 years as Chair.
- Over 8 years of service on the Board of Directors of ASC Health, Inc., a Missouri not for-profit corporation which oversees health-care ministries in Kansas, Nebraska, Missouri and Pennsylvania.
- Over 10 years of service as an officer of the Knights of Columbus, Council #7486 and former Grand Knight.
- Over 6 years of service as an officer of the Newman University Alumni Association and former President.
- Over 4 years of service as Tournament Director of the Villa Maria Annual Charity Golf Tournament.
- Over 6 years of service as a Member of the Board of Directors for the Center of Hope, Inc., a Kansas not-for-profit corporation providing emergency assistance and homelessness prevention services for the people of Wichita, Kansas and surrounding areas.